L1 Intra-Company Transferee Visa - Startup Business Bureau

L1 Intra-Company Transferee Visa

This visa is available to someone who has at least 1 year of experience (within the last 3 years) as either a manager or specialized knowledge worker with a foreign company that is commonly owned and controlled by or commonly owns and controls  a business in the US (or will be opening a new office in the US). The foreign national must also be coming to work for the US office as either a manager (L-1A visa) or specialized knowledge worker (L-1B visa). 

The L-1A visa can be held for up to 7 years total.  The visa is usually granted initially for 3 years (unless a new office is involved, in which case the visa would be granted for 1 year), and extensions are granted in 2 year increments up to the 7 years maximum. The L-1B visa can be held for up to 5 years total.

L-1 Visa Advantages

  • Ability to Live and Work in the USA
  • Extended Period of Stay
  • Free to enter and exit the States
  • Permission to move to the States for the applicant and his family. The applicant’s family members may work and study in the US
  • Active participation in the business and revenue from commercial activities
  • A possibility to extend the visa, transit it to the EB-1C or EB-2 visas, and later to obtain the Green Card
  • Dual Intent Visa
  • L1 Visa is Eligible for Premium Processing
  • No Annual Limit to the Number of L1 Visas Issued

L-1 Visa Types

  • L1-A is for managers and executives, who are either transferring to a US office, or coming into the US for the purposes of setting up a US office.
  • L1-B is for specialized employees, who have essential specialist skills or knowledge.

L1 Visa to Green Card

The L1 visa is a non-immigrant visa category with dual intent. This means that the L1 visa is temporary and does not directly lead to a green card.
In order to go from an L1 visa to a green card, you will have to either apply for an adjustment of status or apply for an immigrant visa abroad.

Spouses and Children

Spouses and children (unmarried and under age 21) of L-1A visa holders can be granted L-2 dependent status.  L-2 status provides work authorization upon filing and approval.

Path to Green Card

  1. EB1C Green Card for multinational managers and executives
  2. Work Sponsorship
  3. EB5 investment-based immigrant visa and Green Card
  4. Marriage (Spouse Sponsorship)